Hiroshima Mon Amour

Hiroshima, Mon Amour

We went to a screening of "Hiroshima Mon Amour" on Friday. I want to write down my impressions while they are fresh and before I read any reviews/articles about the film.

First of all, this was one of the times where my "technique" of not reading anything about a movie paid off. I was caught completely off guard. I am referring to the backstory of the heroine. It did make me cry at one point.

Second, I haven't seen footage of the consequences of the nuclear bombing in a long time or it is even possible that I have never seen such footage. I think it is important for everyone to see it for obvious reasons. Us, humans, as a whole tend to forget and this is something that should not be forgotten so it is not repeated. However, even though the city plays a major role in the movie and the bombing is what is ingrained in its history so it is always in the background, that is not what the movie is mostly about.

Third, loved the cat cameos (here is one) and how the movie is so beautifully shot, and the outfits of that time (made me want to wear skirts or dresses and be womanly - but most likely this will not transpire).

I am glad I finally saw it. A beautiful, sad, mysterious love story.