Hooray, It's Monday!


I heard this song while at work last week and really loved it. I want to share it with you. Because I am reading The Artist's Way and because I've be been meditating, here are my associations with it.

Mercy. Glen Hansard probably is singing about a woman's mercy towards her lover or mother's mercy towards her son, but I see this song almost like a gospel song. Mercy in general, grace in general - universal mercy. What I am learning from various sources is that you have to be ready, you have to relax before you can receive that. You can't be cranky, needy, demanding or angry. Sometimes being down, depressed, heartbroken, feeling low helps you get there faster, because at some point you just say, "Let it be! Whatever it is! I will not try control things and will just be." And this is when mercy comes.

It is the same in meditation. When you are not trying to achieve anything and just observe. Focus and observe. Sometimes you observe some sort of discomfort - your breath feel weird maybe, or something feels off in the body, but if you do not freak out about it and just let it be, all of the sudden it is as if someone turns on a switch and this magical feeling gets released. It will not come if you want it to come and if you chase after it. It will also go away quickly if you get excited about having it. When I get it, it transforms the way my breathing feels - from something that looks like a chart with line going up and down, up and down, it becomes more like a wave that flows in and out ever so smoothly.

That's regarding the song. Another lovely thing I just read is this quote from Zen Habits. Leo Babauta is talking about making a positive change and how to do it small steps at a time. But below is what we forget about the steps and it is so important! This one tip will add quality to your life, rather than the stress of the chase after quantity - achieving that many things per day / month / year / etc. While I am working on my 30-Day Challenge, I will try to remember this. This is what counts more than achieving the actual goal:
Find joy in every step. You’re not doing this to get to some great destination at the end. Each positive step can be a joy in itself, a place to smile and breathe and find gratitude. What a wonderful thing to be where you are!

No comments:

Post a Comment